Wednesday, March 2, 2011

YKTR

I wasn't sure this was something I wanted to write about.  Its hard.  I wanted to share this though.  Its important. 

17 years ago today, I was 17 years old and a senior at St. John's High School.  17 years ago, life was pretty perfect.  17 years ago I was in the midst of picking out a prom dress, making plans for spring break and finishing up my college applications.  17 years ago today.....Chad died.  Chad is my step-brother. 

If I listen really hard, I can still hear "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil playing in his room.  I hear him laughing because I wouldn't take the 3rd turn on the Bloody Mary mirror game.  I see us playing touch football in the hallway.  I remember us sneaking out to go to the gas station up the road to load up on junk food.  I hear Ms. Pac-Man chomping away and the sweetness of victory when I won a game (surely because he let me).  Fast forward a couple of years to Peach Beach.  I must have been around 15 or 16 years old.  I don't even know if I had a driver's license yet but I was driving Chad and some buddies to get something to eat.  Not too many years after that, he graduated, was living in Greenville and going to college.  Life was going just the way he wanted it.  He was really happy.  He was 20 years old when he was killed in a car accident.

I still have the Ms. Pac-Man game we played.  I pulled it out tonight and held it while all the memories from the past came rushing back.  I know Chad is in a better place but sometimes I wish that place was here instead.  RIP Chad..... we sure do miss you buddy.  You know that's right....

No comments:

Post a Comment